One of the most common allergens is  the dust mite (its faecal particles in particular, an average of 2,000 in the life of a mite), responsible for allergic disorders.

The allergic reaction caused by the inhalation of these allergens, can manifest itself with symptoms especially but not only affecting the respiratory system.
An allergy to dust mites may range from mild to severe.
Mild, but still annoying, symptoms may be the nasal obstruction, sneezing (in rapid succession), runny nose, lachrymation, redness, itching, swelling and irritation of the eyes, itching of the nose and the palate or throat. Other more severe are bronchial asthma, allergic rhinitis, atopic dermatitis and eczema.Our homes are the ideal habitat for dust mites which eat our dandruff and flakes of skin.
Mites flee from the light and lurk especially in mattresses and pillows, where it is easier for them  to eat, protect themselves and remain warm with the right humidity thanks to the proximity to our body.
They eat mainly skin flaks, dandruff, hair of humans and animals. Modern houses create a hot and humid microclimate, ideal for their proliferation. The life cycle of mites is approximately 6/8 weeks ong, females begin to lay eggs after 2/3 weeks from their birth and can lay up to 100 before dying. It's easy to see how their expansion can be exponential.
Allergy to dust mites is one of the more widespread allergic disorder. They are responsible for approximately 75% of respiratory allergies and can cause problems at any time of the year.
There is a correlation between allergies and dermatitis: the skin barrier of the subject with atopic dermatitis is damaged and allows for easy entry of allergens in our organism. The chance for subjects suffering from dermatitis to develop an allergic disease increases from 3 to 6 times. It is therefore very important to restore the barrier function of the skin to prevent the appearance of allergies.

 
PREVENZIONE
The best way to fight allergy is to avoid contact with allergenic substances, for this reason it is essential to:
  • Encase cushions, mattresses and duvets in mite-proof material.
  • Wash bed linen once a week at 60°C.
  • Prefer a bed with wood slats.Cover blankets, both synthetic and non synthetic, with mite-proof bed linen.
  • Remove all carpeting from the bedroom and the other rooms.
  • Maintain a temperature between 19 and 21°C in the house and between 16° and 18°C in the bedrooms. The relative humidity should not exceed 50%.
  • For the cleaning of the house avoid using brooms and dustpans, which move the dust without removing it.
  • Prefer vacuum cleaners instead with water or high efficiency filters (HEPA Filter) and use  a damp cloth frequently.
  • For the bedroom prefer simple and easy to clean furniture. Avoid padded items.
  • Replace the cuddly toys  with toys made of wood, metal or plastic so as they can be cleaned easily.
  • Do not smoke! Passive and active smoke increases 2 to 3 times the risk of allergic diseases.
  • When choosing a holiday resort to prefer the mountain. Above 1500 meters a.s.l. the environment is inhospitable for mites.
It is also useful to note that sleep disorders and the status of permanent fatigue caused by an allergy to house mites can negatively influence the daily activities. Both professional life and education may be disrupted, adversely affecting the quality of life.